ADSM-L

Migrate disk pool with disk failure

2003-09-26 10:28:06
Subject: Migrate disk pool with disk failure
From: Richard Foster <Richard.Foster AT HYDRO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:27:44 +0200
Hello list

A planning question:

I have a disk storage pool of 3 equal-sized volumes of 30 GB each and
highmig=90. How does migration get handled if a disk gets an I/O error and
is set to readonly while the pool is being filled overnight?

With 3 disks, migration starts at 90% of 90 GB, all fine and dandy. With
one disk read-only, you've only got 60 GB to play with.

Does migration now kick in at 90% of 60 GB?

And if not, what happens when you've filled the good disks (approx 60 GB,
depending on how much went on the error disk before the problem)? Does it
go over to tape automatically, or do you get an error?

Our system is TSM server 5.1.6.4 on AIX 4.3.3, but I hope the answer is
release-indepedent.

Regards
Richard Foster
Norsk Hydro asa

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous
e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
any of the information contained in or attached to this message is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the e-mail and attached
documents. Thank you.