ADSM-L

Backup Storage Pool Process

2003-09-24 10:21:29
Subject: Backup Storage Pool Process
From: Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:21:05 -0400
I have a situation that is puzzling me and maybe some one here can enlighten me
as to why it is happening

I am running  AIX 4.3.3 TSM 5.1.6.5 with a 3494 library with 4 3590B extended
drives(soon to be replaced with E)

when I am running the backup of my primary disc storage pool to tape, I use a
max process of 4. I make sure that there are plenty of scratch tapes available
and that the max scratch value for the copy pool is larger than the used. so
tapes are available. the copy pool is non collocated.

What I am trying to find out is why
4 processes start correctly and run. over time, the jobs end successfully so I
end up with only one drive backing up data. The jobs that complete do so when
there is still data to be copied to tape.

Why would they end if there are tapes available and data to be copied?

William Fitzgerald
Software Programmer
Munson Medical Center
wfitzger AT mhc DOT net