ADSM-L

Re: TSM managed services

2003-09-20 15:34:08
Subject: Re: TSM managed services
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 06:14:14 -0400
>Can anyone share some info on TSM managed services to address a Unix memory
>leak.  i.e. have dsmcad start scheduler prior to backup and stop it after
>backup.  My understanding is that the memory leak is actually a short coming of
>the Unix operating system architecture.  Apparently the scheduler aquires
>memory and does not release it.  Who recommends managed services?  I'd like to
>hear.  thx.

I think you've been listening to some Windows yahoos, out to disparage Unix. ;-)
There is no Unix operating system architecture memory leak shortcoming.  (Unix
is a far better operating system than Windows.)  The issue is the design
behavior of the ADSM/TSM scheduler, which *retains* the memory it acquires (not
a "leak") so as to reserve the resources it predictably will need for the next
such scheduled task.

The developers realized that while some client systems can sustain a process
which reserves that much memory, others cannot do that and handle their other
workloads as well.  In TSM 4.2, the generalized Client Acceptor Daemon (CAD -
aka Client Acceptor Service) was introduced to deal with that resource issue by
allowing only a low-overhead process to persist in the client system, to respond
to the server in processing schedules.  The CAD will invoke the appropriate
client software function, and allow that client software module to go away when
it is done, thus releasing memory which other system tasks need.  CAD also
serves to start the Web Client.  Refer to the 4.2 Technical Guide redbook for
the introductory story.

  Richard Sims, BU