ADSM-L

Re: Ports used by TSM?

2003-09-10 18:57:41
Subject: Re: Ports used by TSM?
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:56:46 +1000
On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 01:27 Australia/Sydney, Ewald Jenisch
wrote:

Hi,

Sorry if this is a dumb question but where can I find information
about which destination ports (TCP and/or UDP) TSM uses for various
purposes (e.g. server-initiated backup, client-initated backup).

From various logs I found that it's in the range from TCP 1500
upwards, but I wonder which port is used for which purpose in order to
set up a firewall.

AFAIK: For TSM backups through a firewall, it is easiest to use polled
mode, where all connections are from the client to the server on port
1500 (or as configured).

We've even used ssh port forwarding to restore a 50+ GB Oracle database
to a system 1000+ km away over relatively slow WAN links. Tied up a tape
drive for a while (40+ hrs?), but worked without a hitch.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA