ADSM-L

Re: How to check if TSM is using hw compression?

2003-09-08 18:57:51
Subject: Re: How to check if TSM is using hw compression?
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:50:44 +1000
Bernd,

Think about this first!

Removing the client compression will
 1) probably make this client's backups run faster as there will be no cpu
limitation to the process.
 2) send data across the network uncompressed instead of compressed - this
could have capacity implications
 3) fill your disk storage pool with uncompressed rather than compressed data.
This may trigger migrations at unusual times.
 4) allow your tape drives to do the compression as desired.

My thinking is that compression at the client is in general a better idea than
compression at the drives - always do both though, because compression at the
drives costs nothing.  In those few cases where it isn't a good idea the later
clients have exclude.compression directives available for problem files.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Bernd.Schemmer AT GMX DOT DE 09/09/2003 0:45:47 >>>
Bill,

thanks for your answer.

 >>If this is a copy storage pool for your primary server, what are the
 >>server to server device class settings?

I just did a on the TSM server

tsm: TSM2>q node type=server f=d

and found that compression is enabled for the client:

                    Compression: Client

I think, that might be the reason for the problem. I'll change it
tomorrow and see what happens.

Bernd

Bill Smoldt wrote:
> Bernd,
>
> The device class is the only place within TSM where you can affect
> compression.
>
> It's been a long time since I've used a drive without compression, but I
> believe you'd see a more consistent capacity with compression turned off.
> If you were consistently getting 37G, I could believe that compression was
> turned off, but you have tapes with more and less than that.
>
> If this is a copy storage pool for your primary server, what are the server
> to server device class settings?
>
> A "query content <volume_number> f=d" will show you the stored size of a
> file on tape.
>
> Bill Smoldt
> STORServer, Inc.

Bernd Schemmer, Stalburgstr. 14, 60318 Frankfurt, Germany
email: Bernd.Schemmer AT gmx DOT de
Phone/Fax: +49 - 69 /  95520301
mobil: +49 - 179 / 4647978

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipients(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard
copies produced.