ADSM-L

Re: STK-L700/IBM-LTO-2 FC, firmware

2003-09-01 22:08:47
Subject: Re: STK-L700/IBM-LTO-2 FC, firmware
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 02:08:16 +0000
Hot Diggety! Tom Tann{s was rumored to have written:

> I was about to upgrade the firmware on the drives this morning.
> All I could find in the download-area was 34X0L2F.ro.
> 34X0L2F is the right level, but what about the .ro-extension?

That's right, too.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=546&context=STCVQ6Z&q=ssg1*&uid=ssg1S4000043&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en+en

The above URL lists .ro as being correct filename extension for the
firmware images for the 3584. It *used* to be .fmr but apparently changed
some time recently. Who knows why. ;) FMR stands for Firmware Microcode
Restore (tape) if I recall correctly; would be interested in finding out
what RO stands for (if anything) but haven't seen anything so far.

I compared my old 3481.fmr drive microcode image file with 36U3L1S.ro and
they are pretty much identical -- same size, same messages in both files,
etc. so it seems like it's just merely a filename extension change only.

> AIX 5.1, Atape 8.2.5.0.

FYI: Atape 8.3.1.0 is out now. It was released the week before your post.

> Does anyone know how to use the .ro-file in this environment?

# tapeutil -f /dev/rmtX ucode 34X0L2F.ro

(Use at your own risk; drive should be in a quiescied state -- ie, TSM
halted or 'update drive online=no' and 'update path...')

-Dan