ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Domino 6. ver 5.1.5.1

2003-08-27 11:36:23
Subject: Re: TDP for Domino 6. ver 5.1.5.1
From: Lisa Laughlin <laughl AT MODOT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:49:21 -0500
For those of you following this thread, after opening the PMR I discovered
that I had inadvertently (??how, I don't know yet, but I did it on the day
I expired a bunch of wintel incr schedules during our battle with the virii
& worms last week) introduced a '/' into the object of the schedule that
called the domincr.cmd and also into the schedule that called for the daily
archive of the transaction logs.

I have seen in the logs where the INCR processing expires the deleted dbs.

Expiring database backup 'mail\D10\ellioj.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\D10\pettut.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\D5\roses1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\D5\schafn1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\D5\zafftr1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\bodenl1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\davenc.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\goffj1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\kidwej1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\knighn.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\manine.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\nellan1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\perezs1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\rossj4.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\schnic2.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\stacej1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\SC\steing1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\trowbs1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\wahlc1.nsf'...
Expiring database backup 'mail\sc\webstd.nsf'...

Total Domino databases inspected:         1,748
Total Domino databases backed up:         4
Total Domino databases excluded:          2
Total Domino backup objects expired:      20

             Bill Boyer
             <bill.boyer@VERIZ
             ON.NET>                                                    To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: TDP for Domino 6.  ver 5.1.5.1

             08/26/2003 03:32
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I was also told that the INCREMENTAL processing expires deleted databases.
The SELECTIVE only backs up what's there and if you never run the
INCREMENTAL any deleted databases will still be there as active and won't
expire.

I have a client that I'm still trying to convince that hourly archivelog
backups and weekly selective full backups just aren't enough.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.