ADSM-L

Réf. : Re: TDP for Domino 6. ver 5.1.5.1

2003-08-27 11:07:02
Subject: Réf. : Re: TDP for Domino 6. ver 5.1.5.1
From: Guillaume Gilbert <guillaume.gilbert AT DESJARDINS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:06:00 -0400
We do something very similiar

- Compact on saturday midnight of all the databaes (DBIID is changed)
- Incremental right after that (actually a full because of the DBIID change
- archive log every hour from 07:00 to 19:00
- incremental every week night

We have 3 domino instances on 1 p690 partition. Total of 350 GB of notes data.
Our retention is Nolimit, Nolimit, 90, 90. This gives me 2.5 TB of compressed
data in TSM.

Guillaume Gilbert
Conseiller - Gestion du stockage
CGI - Gestion intégré des technologies
TEL.:  (514) 415-3000 ext 5091
Pager:   (514) 957-2615
Email : guillaume.gilbert AT cgi DOT com

Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 2003-08-27 10:50:03

Veuillez répondre à "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Envoyé par :      "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Pour : ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc :
Objet :     Re: TDP for Domino 6.  ver 5.1.5.1

Bill,

You are correct. It also "inactivates" databases
that no longer exist on the Domino server.

If a customer only runs archivelog and selective backups,
the databases that have been "removed" from their
Domino Server will remain active and never expire.

The bigger problem I see with only running weekly SELECTIVE and
hourly ARCHIVELOG (with no INCREMENTAL) is that it will not
pick up situations when the logged databases DBIID has changed.
Once the DBIID changes, you cannot apply
the archive logs to the old backup since Domino
treats databases with a new DBIID as a "different"
database in the logger's eyes.

One very common technique is to run:
   - Weekly SELECTIVE type backups (followed by an INACTIVATELOGS command)
   - Nightly INCREMENTAL type backups
   - Hourly ARCHIVELOG backups

The time frames on the frequency of these vary depending
on Domino server load, capacity, maintenance schedule, etc.

Thanks,

Del