ADSM-L

Re: *Real* admin interface (Was: q vol f=g ??!?)

2003-08-23 19:45:20
Subject: Re: *Real* admin interface (Was: q vol f=g ??!?)
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:44:52 -0500
From: Kamp, Bruce [mailto:bkamp AT MHS DOT NET]
> What might be another alternative is an MMC (Microsoft Management
> Console)....

If you'll look *really carefully* at the TSM Management Console for
Windows, you're looking at  an MMC.

All this talk about a "real" admin console leads me to a question: what
is it you want to look at? You want to see how many volumes are
contained in a storage pool? How many scratch tapes are in your library?
How many tape volumes are in pending mode? Sounds to *me* like you need
to be using dsmadmc.

I haven't found a GUI-based admin interface that can hold a candle to
the reliability, speed, and pinpoint control available of the
command-line admin interface. I can run select statements that give me
*exactly* what I want and in the format I want, I can script rapidly and
easily, I can redirect output to text and pipe it to text processors
like Perl, Python, and even lowly awk and sed. Yes, it takes practice,
and it take some typing skill to do it quickly. And, as a Tivoli rep and
I agreed upon, any kind of realtime monitor would do nothing but drag
down the speed of the TSM server for the sake of generating pretty
pictures for the local PHB.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks