ADSM-L

Re: opinions on disk partitioning

2003-08-21 09:36:23
Subject: Re: opinions on disk partitioning
From: "Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:34:37 -0500
Hi,

We have implemented TSM on a fastt700.  What I would suggest you do is get
the system installed and do some real world performance testing to validate
any configuration you are looking at.  This is approximately what we have
done:

2 Member Raid 1 for system disk (AIX 5.2 can boot from the SAN)
2 Member Raid 1 for logs
5 Member Raid 5 for DB
9 Member Raid 5 for Disk Pool
9 Member Raid 5 for Disk Pool

Not all of the space is completely allocated to the filesystems here, but it
give you the picture.  We did quite a bit of testing to make sure that the
Raid 5 for the disk pools would not slow us down.  During our testing we
were able to write to these disks (bot simultaneously) at 50MB/s each.  This
was plenty of validation for me that the disk configuration could pretty
much handle whatever we threw at it.  So far (we have been live for 4 months
and are ratcheting up the number of systems we back up) we are doing
extremely well.  The system backs up over 250GB/night (which isn't a lot,
but it is increasingly rapidly).  This is spread across approximately two
hours (to disk) then another two hours or so to tape (IBM 3584 Lib with 8/FC
attached LTO1's).  There is a lot of room to grow with that as the backup to
tape is currently limited by fact that of the 250GB approximately 150GB
comes from a single host (so when you do the stgpool backup it can't
parallelize beyond a certain point).

One caution however is to be sure and implement zoning today.  Don't wait to
implement this until you need to.  We have waited a while on our Compaq SAN
equipment and are having to retro the zoning in.  Also

As to the question about mirrored database volumes, I cannot say one way or
another.  I have seen posts that suggest this is a problem.  I have also
worked with databases for quite a while (oracle, sybase and mssql) and never
seen this issue with them.  So either whatever flavor of database IBM uses
is susceptible to this issue or it was more of a problem with older
hardware.  I have currently not setup this system to mirror the database
volumes in software.  The issue with the corruption of the database volume
was not correctable with hardware raid.

Other info:
System: 7026-M80 (8 500MHZ CPU's, 8GB RAM)
SAN:      IBM rebranded 2Gb brocade switches
TSM Version: 5.2.0.1

Michael Wheelock
Integris Health of Oklahoma