ADSM-L

Cleaning up "lost" tapes....

2003-08-20 11:20:02
Subject: Cleaning up "lost" tapes....
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:20:04 -0400
I am going through a cleanup process on my z/OS system tape library.

Long ago, were started using TSM (ADSM) with 3490 cartridges.   We stopped
using 3490 tapes, long ago.

However, running through my CA-1 database, I found hundreds of 3490 tapes,
still locked and showing ADSM3490.* as the dataset names and the
owner/writer as ADSM.

Yet, checking a few entries (Q VOL xxxxxx), ADSM/TSM disavows any
knowledge of these tapes.

I think this was caused by issues with the tape management exit / CA-1
parms.

My question is this.  How can I be absolutely sure that TSM has *NOTHING*
on these tapes so that I can forcefully scratch/release them from CA-1
control ?

Is Q VOL good enough ?

I realize that Q VOL does not show things like EXPORT tapes (which I
always felt it should........IMHO, Q VOL should show *ALL* volumes that
TSM knows about !!!!)

Also, trying to navigate through Q VOLHIST can be a pain (how many times
is a tape acquired/released/acquired/released.....)