ADSM-L

Re: TSM for small Workgroups

2003-08-19 17:29:42
Subject: Re: TSM for small Workgroups
From: "N. Agmon" <nagmon AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:08:16 -0400
We have a small installation here - TSM server running on a Win2k machine
with one (manual) SDLT tape drive.   Everything gets backed up and stays on
the primary diskpool (no primary tapepool and no migration), and there's a
nightly backup of the primary stgpool to the copypool on tape (as well as a
nightly database backup to tape).  Recently I started running reclamation
for tape volumes of the copypool, by marking tape access as Offsite, which
causes TSM to reclaim data from the primary diskpool.  The problem is that
this process takes forever (am not sure why) and ties up our only tape
drive.  So actually now we are looking into adding a second tape drive and
more tapes to the library.
Niva

At 03:35 PM 8/19/2003 +0200, you wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:50:32 +0200
Peter Schulze <Peter.Schulze AT DENGLER-GMBH DOT DE> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> i want to setup a TSM-Server for a small workgroup. I have only one
> tapedrive. Is it possible to have a primary tapepool and an additional
> copy pool with one tape drive? I know that reclamation can be done with
> only one drive. But how can i do the backup stgpool?

You make sure (100% sure) that all your backups fit in your diskpool, then,
on a regular basis do a backups stg from diskpool to copypool, before you
migrate from diskpool to primairy tape pool. You could run backup stg about
once every 4 hours or so (or even more frequent) and migrate only once a
day....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams