ADSM-L

Re: Basic Question

2003-08-17 06:19:50
Subject: Re: Basic Question
From: Steven Pemberton <stevep AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:17:34 +1000
On Wednesday 06 August 2003 00:53, Christian Astuni wrote:
> Hi at all ...
> I have a basic question, I run backups daily incremental backups, and
> weekend i want run full backup. But i don't want to use archive backups,
> because all the time the events display failed ...
> The solution is a new managment class ??? But where say ADSM to use this
> ???

I assume the reason you want to run "full" weekly backups is so they may be
retained for a different period than your normal daily backups?

There are several ways to retain "archival" backups separately from the normal
daily backups. However, simply changing management class is *not* one of
them, as all previous backups are rebound when the files are backed up after
the management class is changed.

You could stick with only performing daily incremental backups, and then use
"backup sets" to copy the existing backup data onto a new tape. This "backup
set" tape can then be retained differently from the original backup data.
This has the advantage of not requiring the client to resend previously
backed up data, and also not needing to index the second copy in the TSM
database, however restoring from a backup set may be less than convinient...

Another option is to create a second node account, and schedue this node to
backup once per week to a "long term retention" backup management class. This
has the advantage of only needing to perform an additional weekly
"incremental" (since the previous week), but also retains the data separatly
from the daily "short term" incremental backups. Restoring from the "long
term" backups is also relatively easy.

Finally, you could perform real "archives", using the archive function. This
might actually be the best way to perform "real" archival backups, but it's
important to ask what *really* needs to be "archived" in this way? Do you
really need to retain the entire filesystem backup, or just some
files/directories/database files?

Steven P.

--
Steven Pemberton
Senior Enterprise Management Consultant

Mobile: +61/0 418 335 136 | Phone: +61/3 9820 5811 | Fax: +61/3 9820 9907
Level 1, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia
http://www.senetas.com.au | http://www.ibk.com.au | http://www.datum.com.au