ADSM-L

Re: slow restores on recently on AIX machines with recent OS upgrade

2003-08-15 07:45:32
Subject: Re: slow restores on recently on AIX machines with recent OS upgrade
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 07:11:09 -0400
>We run a TSM server v 5.1 level 5.4 on an AIX 4.3 machine. The AIX
>admins here have been upgrading their other servers to AIX v 5.1 with
>the 32 bit kerenl. We've found that on the AIX upgraded machines that
>TSM restores and HSM recalls from tape are performing horribly, with a
>transfer rate of 200k every 20 - 30 seconds. ...

Being aware of this, I should think that your AIX admins would respond by
performing network throughput tests to see if their AIX upgrade needs
network parameter adjustments, as in Receive Buffers, if not Routing.
I would suggest running some benchmark tests in the AIX host where the
TSM server is to measure tape drive performance as driven by OS commands
(tapeutil; tar of a random-content large file) to help isolate the
problem as being drive/tape or network.  The impression we have at the
moment is that those AIX admins have upgraded systems without performing
requisite quality assurance on the result, which is not good.

  Richard Sims, BU