ADSM-L

Re: How many drives are you using when you are running TDP for R/ 3 and backing up SAP Database? Urgent!

2003-08-14 11:04:56
Subject: Re: How many drives are you using when you are running TDP for R/ 3 and backing up SAP Database? Urgent!
From: "Hooft, Jeroen" <Jeroen.Hooft AT ATOSORIGIN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:03:59 +0200
Hi

Assuming it are LANFree backups, via how many HBA's are you accessing your
drives (and disks)?
I think the HBA and or the SAN-switch will be the bottleneck (if you have
1Gbit/sec adapters/ports).
Let's say you will reach 80 MB/s via 1 HBA, that's 288.000 MB/h
1700000/288000 = 6 hours if you use 1 HBA to your drives and many tapedrives

This assumes that you have a seperate HBA for disk and that there is hardly
any other traffic on that part of the SAN.

If you can reach each individual drive (or each 2) via different fabrics,
things change.
Then one can easily calculate the amount of drives from the specifications
of the drive.
Let's say these drives can reach 30MB/s. Then one needs at least 4 drives to
finish in 4 hours.

We reach our 3590 drives via different fabrics and get with 2 drives a
throughput of 250 GB/hour for our SAP-backups (AIX).

Maybe you should have a look at flashcopy and/or "TDP for ESS for SAP/R3".

Regards Jeroen