ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1 mount messages

2003-08-11 13:43:08
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1 mount messages
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:42:48 -0400
>I thought perhaps that might be the issue since we had diags runnig on
>that library when it initially came up and it didn't initialize. I
>cancelled the diag on the arctic point and it initialized, and I later
>recycled the server but the problem persisted.
>
>I just completed shutting down the library, then powering it up, then
>recycling TSM, and the problem persists. In fact, right on
>initialization f that library I got:
>08/11/03   12:34:06  ANR8451I 349X library IBM3494A is ready for
>operations.
>08/11/03   12:34:06  ANR8447E No drives are currently available in
>library   IBM3494A.

When reporting problems, it does help to have all that contextual info so that
we have the better chance of divining the issues...
A TSM 'show libr' should reveal the drive state which TSM things is in effect.
I would also do an mtlib query on the library to assure that it is fully
operational, as in being Online, in Automated Operation State, etc.
Beyond that I would give the 3494 a checkout at its operator panel, looking
for drives being Unavailable, Int Req condition, or other problems.
If you have ARTIC card or industrial PC problems, there's no way you'll be
able to use the drives.  Also check the drive front panels to assure that
their path to the host is online - and that there are no tapes trapped in
them.  You can also do OS queries for drive state (e.g., AIX lsdev) to
assure that they are okay at that level, necessary for TSM to use them.

  Richard Sims, BU