ADSM-L

AW: StgPool CRC

2003-08-08 08:42:48
Subject: AW: StgPool CRC
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:44:56 +0200
Hi,

> - Have you measured the performance impact?
> IBM estimate 5% CPU overhead.
> Is this correct? Is this the only
> overhead - what about tape performance?

I just tried CRCD on my dual PII/2GHz, NT, Raid-5, LTO-1.
Almost unmeasurable performance impact, neither on disks nor on tapes.

But be cautious - IT DEPENDS - even on the same mache the results could
be completely different if CPU were busy with another operations.
Once your CPU&CRCD will be too slow to fill/empty LTO tape buffer timely,
you can expect disastreous performance breakdown.
Using Raid10 instead of RAID5 could deliver different results as well...

regards
Juraj