ADSM-L

Archive dir mgmt class?

2003-08-08 07:36:48
Subject: Archive dir mgmt class?
From: Richard Foster <Richard.Foster AT HYDRO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:36:27 +0200
Hello

Can anyone explain exactly which management class is used for archived
directories, and whether this is stable or liable to be rebound?

The more I read, the more confused I become. I'm looking at
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for UNIX Backup-Archive Clients Installation and
User's Guide Version 5 Release 1

Chap 8 "Using management classes and copy groups" (p 112 PDF version) says:
"If you do not specify a management class for directories, Storage Manager
uses the management class in the active policy set specifying the longest
retention period."

Chap 8 "Selecting a management class for directories" (p 118 PDF version)
says:
"Note: For archive operations, directories are assigned to a management
class whose retention period meets or exceeds that of the files contained
in those directories. The management class is rebound as needed to ensure
that directories with files do not expire."

Chap 9 "dirmc" (p 160 PDF version) says:
"Archived directories are always bound to the default management class."

I appear to have 3 different opinions in one book!
- the one with the longest retention period (presumably not rebound)
- any with a long enough retention period, and can be rebound
- the default class for the policy domain  (presumably not rebound).

Which one is correct?

We run TSM server 5.1.6.4 on AIX 4.3.3, and client 5.1.5.2 on AIX 4.3.3 and
AIX 5.1 (and other combinations).

Richard Foster
Norsk Hydro asa

NOTICE: This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous
e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
any of the information contained in or attached to this message is
STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender and delete the e-mail and attached
documents. Thank you.