ADSM-L

Re: moving TSM to another server

2003-08-06 11:45:28
Subject: Re: moving TSM to another server
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:45:08 +0200
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 11:22:58 -0400
Leonard Lauria <Leonard AT UKY DOT EDU> wrote:

> I know this is in the FAQ, I read the FAQ, I don't
> like the answer.  :)
>
> Even if I let the backups slowly expire on the old
> system, and do new ones to the new server...which
> will be extremely difficult due to the number of
> tape drives I have...I still have 15 TBs of HSM data
> on a single node that must be moved.  Is the only way
> to do this export/inport?
>
> Why can't the database be dumped and loaded on a new
> server?  Isn't that what happens for DR?  Why can't
> I just pretend I am doing a DR to my new server and
> leave the data there?  This must be a stupid idea
> since it is not in the FAQ, but I don't see why at
> the moment.
>
> I am changing the type of platform....moving from
> a Solaris system to a AIX system.
>
> Thanks for any insights into this!
>
> leonard

IF (that's a big IF) you load the new server with _exactly_ the same Level
TSM server AND stay on the SAME os as the old system, yes you could possibly
get away with just restoring a dbbackup.

What I'd do (you run HSM, so you'll probably want to reduce downtime is:

0- prepare the new server, dsmformat the new db and logvolumes, and everything
1- during production do a backup db type=full
2- disable sessions
3- cancel all running sessions or let them finish
4- do a backup db type=incr
5- do a backup volhist and a backup devconf
6- halt the old server

7- move devconf, volhist and the works to the new server

8- restore db todate=today
9- start the new server

(did I forget something here?)

10- test everything
11- do more testing
12- resume production

If it fails, you could possibly go back to the old server without any loss
of data, but remember, this is an untested procedure not even guaranteed to
do anything to the effect you desire (did I cover my ass well enough? ;-)
--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams