ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation of Copy Dirs

2003-08-05 15:11:09
Subject: Re: Reclamation of Copy Dirs
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:10:56 -0400
>After all that, the reclamation is going at a better rate.  I think it is
>because the one 1GB disk volume containing all of the directory objects
>was just too resource intensive to scan.  The 10MB volumes are much faster
>to scan through.  Personally, it doesn't make sense that a random access
>volume would have that much trouble finding the file, but I had read other
>posts with problems similar to mine, so I made those changes.

Todd - I believe that the major problem is that, with long-lived small data
       in Disk type storage pools that fragmentation over time makes for a
lot of extra overhead - just gets worse and worse.  It's not something one
would expect, living daily with OS file systems which do just fine with
many, many files.  It may be that non-hierarchical organization is at play,
making for performance issues when the stgpool gets "holey" over time.

  Richard Sims, BU