ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation of Copy Dirs

2003-08-05 13:44:23
Subject: Re: Reclamation of Copy Dirs
From: Debi Randolph <Debra.Randolph AT FBOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 12:44:01 -0500
Yes, it's forever and 2 days with no tape drive contention.
We're using 3590E1A's, but moving to LTO in the next 30 to 60 days.

I only have 12 volumes utilized in the Copy Dirs pool.  So we've turned
over the specific volumes a number of times.   So I don't think it's any
one volume that could be causing the problem, as far as read/write errors
go.

How does reclamation on this pool work?   When you reclaim Copy Dirs, it
only uses one tape drive, just an output volume, no input volume.   All the
other storage pools use two drives, an input volume and an output volume.
So is it going back to the client to re-write the data to a new tape?

Thanks,
Deb Randolph

                      Richard Sims
                      <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>             To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  Re: Reclaimation of
Copy Dirs
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/05/2003 11:17
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

>Is it supposed to take forever and 2 days to reclaim my Copy Dirs pool?

Not for the price of the product...

You haven't told us if you are checking for tape drive contention,
as in drives busy with higher priority tasks.
If no contention, you may have some "difficult" tapes, consuming costly
retries in reading or writing.  To try to isolate the problem, you can
do Move Data on indicative tapes and follow the progress, watching for
particular points where things crawl, and go from there, as in examining
I/O load or paging on your server.
We also don't know your tape technology type: as you may have seen from
historic posting, start-stop on some drives is painful.

  Richard Sims, BU

*******************    N O T I C E    *******************
The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying
documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged
information.  The information is intended only for use by the
designated recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (or
responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended
recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this e-mail communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your system.