ADSM-L

Re: Problem Restoring Netware

2003-08-04 17:29:40
Subject: Re: Problem Restoring Netware
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:29:14 -0500
From: Bill Fitzgerald [mailto:wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET]
> I have a client that is trying to restore to a Novell server
>
> situation
> data was saved from Novell 5.1 server to TSM using TSM client
> 4.2.2 (even tho I have repeatedly told them to go to 5.1.X)
>
> novel server was upgraded to Novell 6.0
>
> some files were missing and they tried to restore using the
> existing TSM 4.2.2 client.
>
> The restore worked for a while then it failed. After the
> failure, any attempt to restore files to the server, even
> after upgrading to client 5.1.6 produced a series of messages
> that the files could not be written.

Without seeing the error messages, it's very hard to tell what the
problem is.

Considering that you indicate a problem writing files, the problem
*might* be:
1. You've read from a compressed volume and you're writing to an
uncompressed one
2. The reverse of 1.
3. The NetWare ID you log on with to perform the restore lacks
permission to write to the requested volume/directory. (Always use a
top-level NetWare admin ID to perform restores.)

It is almost certainly not a TSM client issuem. Both version 5.1 and 5.2
of the TSM NetWare client support NetWare 6; as long as your target box
is running 5.1 or 5.2, you're good to go there...

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks