ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Non-TDP backups

2003-07-30 01:06:55
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Non-TDP backups
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 00:05:40 -0500
Gordon,

Check to see if full-text indexing is running against those databases.
That's what tripped us up when we tried to do file-based backups of the
databases.  Before the TSM client could finish sending the database, the
indexer would run and update the date/time stamp causing TSM to see that as
a new database.

Now we use TDP/Domino, but we're in the process of rethinking our entire
Notes architecture, in part due to backup/restore considerations.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, LLC

"We currently have over 160Gb of Notes mail databases that need to be
backed up nightly. Due to incompatabilities with the Notes TDP, our version
of TSM (v4.2.2.5) and the way compaction runs on our Notes servers, we have
to use the normal Tivoli backup client to backup the mailboxes. It takes
about 12 hours for all the databases to get backed up each night but the
vast amount of this time seems to be spend trying and then retrying to send
mailboxes to the TSM server."