ADSM-L

Win NT 4.2.2.8 Client Problem

2003-07-29 10:50:52
Subject: Win NT 4.2.2.8 Client Problem
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:33:02 +0100
Hi All

I have a strange problem. Today one of the servers we back up went down
(Win NT TSM Client 4.2.2.8). The NT guys have been busy at work fixing it
and part of this required that some files (including the TSM client on that
machine), needed to be installed again. Now, when we go to start the BA
GUI, we get the message:-
|------+------------------------------------------------------------------|
|   ANS|   The active policy set does not contain any backup copy groups. |
|   126|   If you continue with the incremental backup, any currently     |
|   2E |   backed up files are deactivated on the server and assigned the |
|      |   Backup Grace Period.                                           |
|------+------------------------------------------------------------------|

I have looked on the TSM Server (4.2.2.12 running on Solaris 2.7) and can
see that the active policy set that the client is bound to does indeed
contain a backup copy group. In fact, nothing has changed on the server at
all. So what could have happened here?

But there is more, I hope you are following me.

Whilst the NT guys were fixing the server, they also set up another server
and put the name of the original node in the DSM.SYS file on the new
machine. We then started a restore of the old machine onto the new one (but
of course to TSM it looked like the original). However, having looked at
the setting for the new machine that was registered to TSM, I can see that
it was attached to a different policy domain. Could this have caused TSM to
get confused somewhere along the line?

I'm sorry if this all seems a little confusing, but no one is more confused
that me right now.

The client in question will be given a reboot later this afternoon, and I'd
like to think that this would cure it (for some reason). If not, we have a
massive backup to do all over again :)

If anyone has any advice, then I'd love to hear it.

Many thanks in advance

Farren Minns - TSM & Solaris System Admin
John Wiley & Sons Ltd

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received this
message in error please notify the sender.

except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on your
own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
arising out of any bug or virus infection.