ADSM-L

Re: TSM 5.1.6.3 on AIX 5.1 ML4 or ML3

2003-07-21 09:34:52
Subject: Re: TSM 5.1.6.3 on AIX 5.1 ML4 or ML3
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 23:33:28 +1000
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:33:59 -0700
J M <jm_seattle AT HOTMAIL DOT COM> wrote:

The continued case for why TSM and AIX should be jointly
administered....

Our AIX admins are claiming that TSM has a memory leak. We are
claiming we
need adequate paging space (ie. 6 GB of memory, not 100 MB of paging
space) and that VMTUNE maxperm needs to be roughly equivalent to
numperm
(along with a slew of other variables that makes sense).

Anyone know of a memory leak on TSM 5.1.6.3 on AIX? If so- I'd be
happy to
find that out as the root cause of AIX dropping telnet requests due to
low
memory conditions.

Thanks,

John

I haven't seen any memory leaks, but in regards to AIX vmtune + TSM,
search the list archives. IMHO, maxperm should be set very low, since
the AIX buffer cache is going to be next to useless. I'd go 8%, or less.

We have an AIX system where I'm about to set "vmtune -p 1 -P 2 -h 1" in
order to get vmstat "sr" lower, and stop wasting kernel CPU. It's a big
Oracle box with 8 GB RAM, but has similar "heaps of I/O" characteristics
as TSM.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke