ADSM-L

Re: AIX question ( " du " and " df " )

2003-07-20 15:48:47
Subject: Re: AIX question ( " du " and " df " )
From: Robert Clark <res03db2 AT GTE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:53:06 -0700
du checks disk in use
df checks disk free

1) Process has open file handle on large file.
2) Someone / something deletes file.

Space will not show up as in use or free.

3) When process ends, releases handle, or is killed, space is returned as
free.

The "fuser" command has a flag for deleted files, and can help track down
who/what has handles open on deleted files.

[RC]