ADSM-L

Re: Backup to a specific tape

2003-07-15 11:28:55
Subject: Re: Backup to a specific tape
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:28:18 -0400
> I'm a bit of a TSM newbie, so I'd like to check something with you guys...
> what's the correct way of backing up a certain machine to a certain tape?
> I want to make sure that my mail server is backed up to a certain tape,
> which contains nothing but that particular server's backup files.  My idea
> was to create a separate storage pool for that machine.  Is this the right
> way to go?  Can I then just have TSM grab tapes from the scratch pool or
> do I have to define volumes that this storage pool, and only this storage
> pool, can write to?  I'm grateful for any hints and tips!

Tim - TSM gives precedence to using volumes assigned to a storage pool via
      Define Volume, so you can do that.  If the node had previously partly
filled tapes ("Filling") state, you can temporarily mark them as readonly
to cause use of that fresh, defined volume.
(Ref: Admin Guide, "How the Server Selects Volumes with Collocation Enabled")

  Richard Sims, BU