ADSM-L

DR restore speed issue

2003-07-14 09:47:52
Subject: DR restore speed issue
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:47:21 -0400
Hello everyone,

We just had a disaster recovery drill recently and the issue of slow
restores/retrieves was brought up.  It seems that there are so many tape
mounts because the offsite copy storage pools aren't collocated since we
send these tapes offsite every morning at 8AM.  To collocate would be a
waste of tape and also cause more administrative work, such as reclamation.
It has been suggested that we do archives of these filespaces and keep them
for a limited number of days.  Is there a more efficient way of
consolidating data onto a small group of tape for offsite or am I out of
luck here.  It just seems like there should be a more efficient way of
doing this without having to collocate and waste so many tapes.  Thanks in
advance for any suggestions you may have!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
(717)975-8338