ADSM-L

Re: TSM and IP hijacking

2003-07-14 07:46:12
Subject: Re: TSM and IP hijacking
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 07:45:45 -0400
>today I obtained this mail (translated) from one of our customer. I am not
>networking guru so much, I only know that IDS is some kind of network
>monitoring and analyzing tool but I don't know exactly what and how the IDS
>sonds working. These messages are reported somewhere on firewall and TSM
>comunication was interpreted as potential hijacking (by customer's people).
>Can you anybody give me some advice what is goung about and what to do or
>tell our customer representatives?
>
>Any help will be appreciate.
>Tomas

Tomas - Your customer should realize that the information they are getting out
        of that Intrusion Detection System is so vague as to be worse than
useless (as in, potentially misleading).  They need to look into better
configuring their RealSecure Network Sensor to hopefully get some substantive
information out of it.  If it can't do any better than that, they should look
into getting a better product, as it would then define itself as a waste of
money.

  Richard Sims, BU