ADSM-L

Re: Macintosh 5.2 client

2003-07-09 14:12:37
Subject: Re: Macintosh 5.2 client
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:12:07 -0500
Gretchen,

How's the scheduler working???  That's something my MAC guys have been
complaining about for a long time.

At 01:50 PM 7/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Well, on the whole, I'm happier with this client than I have
been in a long time. There is unicode support, so make sure
that you have 'autofsrename yes' in the client files or just
update the node on the server.

A couple of oddities, though.

1) There isn't an exclude.dir for the OS X System folder, but
it doesn't show up in the backup directory window. When you
go to the exclude-include tab in the preferences window, it's
there! No duplicate version of the 'dsm.sys' (shorter than
typing out the entire Mac name) file exists. If you save the
new file from this window, the exclude.dir for the system
folder now appears!

2) Some strange behavior when upgrading from 5.1 with regard
to passwordaccess generate (just taking the default). The first
time I signed on, a new v5.1 folder was created (I had trashed
the old 5.1 folder) and the encrypted password was placed in
it. After I threw that one away, I was prompted again for it
and it created a new encrypted entry in the correct, v5.2
folder.

The second one was more of a nuisance and I'm trying to recreate
it to see if it's going to affect a rollout. The first one concerns
me - or should it? Is the OS X system folder 'restorable'? If I
have to do a 'bare metal restore' (or as close as I can get to
that), will I need to worry about the System folder. The System
9 folder was backed up on dual boot machines.

Gretchen Thiele
Princeton University