ADSM-L

Re: AIX question ( " du " and " df " )

2003-07-09 08:26:34
Subject: Re: AIX question ( " du " and " df " )
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:26:07 -0400
>My filesystem "/var" grow up rapidly and anormally and when I execute
>the command : "du -sk /var" the result is :     29653 ( ~ 29 M )
>
>But when I execute the command " df -kP" , I find the result bellow :
>
>Filesystem  1024-blocks  Used  Available Capacity Mounted on
>/dev/hd9var   262144    138940   123204    54%    /var
>
>It means thant about 138 M are used from /var but du -sk
>gives only ~29 M, I don't know where is the difference (138.94 M  - 29 M =
>109.94 M) !!

Hey, this is ADSM-L, not AIX-L!  ;-)
Certainly a big difference between df and du is that df is looking at
the file system as a whole whereas du is running through directories
accumulating file statistics.  Files come and go as du is running.
It is also the case that files can be open and have no directory entry,
thus using a lot of "invisible" space.  Get ahold of the freebee 'lsof'
command to report open files: it's an invaluable aid.

  Richard Sims, BU