ADSM-L

Re: Backup in Windows Restore ...

2003-07-09 07:21:39
Subject: Re: Backup in Windows Restore ...
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:21:15 -0400
>I want to backing up some data in Windows and restore it in Linux RedHat
>9.0?  Does anyone know if that is possible or not.  If not way?

A frequently asked question, which I address in ADSM QuickFacts under
topic "Restore across architectural platforms"...
For it to be possible, the respective clients would both have to support
the same file system type, meaning both that it was programmed to do so
and that it was formally documented that it really could do so, in the
client manual.  Simply look in the Unix Client manual, under "File system and
ACL support" and compare with page 49 of the Windows Client (5.2) manual.
You will see no overlap.  Voila.

Consider using FTP for getting files across platforms; or use an optical disc
file system, which tends to be platform-neutral.

  Richard Sims, BU