ADSM-L

Windows 2000 restore

2003-07-07 03:59:51
Subject: Windows 2000 restore
From: Ruksana Siddiqui <Ruksana.Siddiqui AT AMCOR.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 17:44:26 +1000
Hi All,

PS : I'm not at all a Windows person.I'm a unix admin .

I have a windows2000 server crashed ( during the process of changing the
drives to be Dynamic ) .

The restore of C drive which is 4 GB took 9+ hours  which is obviously not
acceptable.

1 .For Server A  I have generated backup sets for the drives C & D I would
like to restore.

Q1. Can I genrate backup sets for both the drives at the same time and let
them go to a single tape. ?

2. On Server B I changed the dsm.opt file to see itself as Server A and
initiated the restore from the backupset generated from drive C and I get
access died error . ANE4007E after restoring few files. I'm logged in as
administrator on Server B when initiating the restore similar error occured
while restoring D drive from backupset generated for D drive . Both the
restores were tried to original location. I'm not sure how will I restore
the system objects of Server A to  Server B.

Q2.  Can I restore C / D drive of Server A to Server B . ( Server B is the
original Server A expect for the Name ie Server B from Hardware point of
view as we built the box on a different server to get the business going ) ?

Q3. Can I restore the System Objects of Server A to Server B.

3. How do I do Full backups everyday ( ABSOLUTE IN MANAGEMENT CLASS - am I
right rather than SELECTIVE ) for Server C and make sure the data is written
to single tape. Can I actually do a full backup of a server to single tape.?

I apprecaite Any reponse.

TSM server version is : 4.1.2 ( I know We are running  unsupported version )

CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use,
dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If
you have received this message in error please notify AMCOR immediately. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not
necessarily reflect the views of AMCOR.