ADSM-L

Re: Calling external commands from TSM script

2003-07-05 17:41:27
Subject: Re: Calling external commands from TSM script
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 17:40:45 -0400
>Is it possible to call external DOS/Windows commands from inside of a
>TSM script?  Is there an exec command in TSM script language like there
>is in C?=

Maria - Server Scripting remains essentially as it was when introduced in
        ADSMv3: a modest convenience akin to TSO CLISTs of the mid-1970s.
(My, um, heritage is showing.)  Because the facility is so rudimentary,
achieving anything more involves employing some tricks.  As I noted under
topic "Server Script, issue OS command from" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts, getting from server script to OS
command can be achieved via a client schedule, most conveniently performed
via DEFine CLIENTAction - a one-time client schedule.  Note that some
commands, like 'Query MEDia' and 'Query DRMedia', can generate commands
which can be written to an OS file, which can then be defined and run as a
script invoked from the running script, to for example send email about a
certain volume.  I employ this technique in my morning-admin script.
Conversely, you can invoke server functions from outside the server, as
in having a Perl script run dsmadmc, and thereby achieve more sophisticated
processing.

  Richard Sims, BU