ADSM-L

Re: Active Directory Domain Controller Backup Failure

2003-07-03 11:00:07
Subject: Re: Active Directory Domain Controller Backup Failure
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:59:33 -0600
Do you run any other backup products on the problem machine besides TSM?
(ntbackup, veritas, arcserve, or ?????)

Are you backing up the problem machine via TSM scheduler service? If so,
try stopping *all* TSM client services (schedulers, client acceptors,
remote client agents) and wait about 15 - 30 minutes. Then run the
following command from the directory where TSM is installed, i.e.
C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient, or wherever you put the TSM\baclient
directory.

   dsmc backup activedirectory

Does the backup complete successfully, or does it still fail?

If the problem persists, then do the following. I assume that your error
log name is the default, dsmerror.log. If not, then substitute your error
log name in the instructions below.

1) Delete or rename dsmerror.log

2) Run the following command, again from the directory where TSM is
installed:

   dsmc backup activedirectory -traceflags=service -tracefile=dsmc.trc >
dsmc.out 2>&1

If you are using passwordaccess prompt, then run the following instead:

   dsmc backup activedirectory -password=xxxxx -traceflags=service
-tracefile=dsmc.trc > dsmc.out 2>&1

where xxxxx is your TSM password.

3) When dsmc finishes, look in dsmc.out. Does it show the error (I would
expect so)? If so, then send me dsmc.trc, dsmc.out, dsmerror.log. If the
file are over 1 MB in size, zip them up.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Amini, Mehdi" <Mehdi.Amini AT VALUEOPTIONS DOT COM>
07/03/2003 06:42