ADSM-L

Re: expire inventory not looking at all files

2003-06-30 10:17:28
Subject: Re: expire inventory not looking at all files
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:17:03 -0400
>Sorry I should have included more information.  I am running TSM server
>5.1.6.3  and we run expiration daily by way of administrative command. And
>I am sure that at least there should be more than 10% of all of our files
>should be inactive or considered for expiration as we have been running
>TSM for more than 3 years, so I would hope to have 2 million+ files show
>up in the summary.

Greg - If Expiration dumbly worked by running through the full list of Inactive
       files at every Expire Inventory, there would be a lot of disgruntled
customers.  The developers made it a lot smarter than that.  *SM keeps track of
the smaller list of expirables by virtue of file transitions: introduction into
the system, retention changes, etc.  And, of course, Expire Inventory deals with
that set of files retained by age, rather than number of versions, making for
that many fewer.  The small number you are seeing reflects the number of
candidates reflected in that table.  Remember that directories can be a special
case, due to their different binding.

  Richard Sims, BU