ADSM-L

Re: Device Class

2003-06-29 06:07:50
Subject: Re: Device Class
From: Zosimo Noriega <znoriega AT ADNOC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:12:41 +0400
Thanks for info.  Regards to all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alex Paschal [mailto:AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2003 10:08 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

Possible reasons can include:

1.  Using a different (maybe offsite?) library for your offsite volumes
2.  EstCapacity - if you're using generictape, the capacity of the volume
grows as it puts more data on it.  If you send a volume offsite, it could
only have 3GB and it wouldn't come back until it hits your reclamation %.
You'd be wasting 37GB of that volume.  If that matters to you.  So, if you
have a reason for a low estcapacity onsite and a high estcapacity offsite,
then that could do it.
3.  If you want to "shape" mountlimit for onsite vs. offsite volumes in your
library.
4.  Sometimes you may want a longer mount retention for your onsite volumes
and a lower mount retention for offsite volumes because copypool volumes
only get mounted during reclamation and backup stg whereas primary onsite
stgpool volumes are used much more often.

But personally, I use the same devclass for both onsite primary and offsite
copy stgpools.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail