ADSM-L

Re: media labeling - library not configured?

2003-06-27 19:53:34
Subject: Re: media labeling - library not configured?
From: Hunny Kershaw <hunnychka AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:52:54 -0700
Hello Alex,

Did you label volume ITG001 yet? If it has not been labeled, you should not
use the checkin libvol command. Try the label libvol instead..

label libvol LB6.0.0.3 search=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch

The server will then find the volumes that have not been checked into the
library inventory and label them using barcode for volume names. With
checkin=scratch, the server will check in these volumes in the inventory
after labelling them.

For the checkin libvol problem that you had, did you insert the volume
already labelled as ITG001 in slot number 448 before replying? If you
didn't put any volume in slot 448, you will get source empty when the
library tries to move a tape from slot 448 to drive for labeling.

Regards,

Hunny

                      Alexander
                      Lazarevich               To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <alazarev AT ITG DOT UIU        cc:
                      C.EDU>                   Subject:  media labeling -
library not configured?
                      Sent by: "ADSM:
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      06/27/2003 02:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

We are setting up the following new equipment: TSM 5.1 running on Windows
2000 Server (SP4). The server version is 5.1.6.5127. The server runs
just fine. We also have a tape library attached: Overland Storage Neo
4100, with 2 X LTO-2 (HP) drives, and 31 Maxell Ultrium 2 200GB native
tapes. The tapes have the barcodes on them and are in the library. The
tsmscsi version is 5.1.6.5126. The library and drive devices are
recognized by TSM just fine, as those devices show up in the device
configuration wizard.

However, I am unable to label or check in any tapes into the library
storage pool. When I get to the TSM media labeling for auto changer wizard,
it does not label or check in the volumes. It sees the volumes just fine,
and is getting the barcode label just fine, because it's listing all the
tapes and barcodes. But when I select the "Label Now" button, it very
quickly says it's done, and the library has not moved a single tape into
the drive to label it. I hit okay and it does not prompt to check in and
tapes, so it must not have been able to label them. I run the wizard again
and it has no label next to the barcode. So the wizard is unable to label
or check in the tapes.

I also tried doing it via command line:

- ANR2017I Administrator ****** issued command: CHECKIN LIBVOLUME
  LB6.0.0.3 ITG001 STATUS=PRIVATE CHECKLABEL=YES SWAP=NO MOUNTWAIT=60
  SEARCH=NO
- ANR0984I Process 5 for CHECKIN LIBVOLUME started in the BACKGROUND at
  15:14:23.
- ANR8422I CHECKIN LIBVOLUME: Operation for library LB6.0.0.3 started as
  process 5.
- ANR0609I CHECKIN LIBVOLUME started as process 5.
- ANR8306I 002: Insert LTO volume ITG001 R/W into the slot with element
  number 448 of library LB6.0.0.3 within 60 minutes; issue 'REPLY' along
  with the request ID when ready.

I then do a 'reply 002' and I get the following result:

- ANR2017I Administrator ****** issued command: REPLY 002
- ANR8499I Command accepted.
- ANR8300E I/O error on library LB6.0.0.3 (OP=8401C058, CC=314, KEY=05,
  ASC=3B, ASCQ=0E,SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.14.00.00.00.00.3B.
  0E.00.C0.00.04.00.00., Description=The source slot or drive was empty in
  an attempt to move a volume).  Refer to Appendix D in the 'Messages'
  manual for recommended action.
- ANR8942E Could not move volume ITG001 from slot-element 448 to
  slot-element 481.
- ANR8841I Remove volume from slot 448 of library LB6.0.0.3 at your
  convenience.
- ANR8426E CHECKIN LIBVOLUME for volume ITG001 in library LB6.0.0.3
  failed.
- ANR0985I Process 5 for CHECKIN LIBVOLUME running in the BACKGROUND
  completed with completion state FAILURE at 15:30:09.

The tape is in the library, and nothing is in slot-element 481, which is
the 2nd drive in the library. The Appendix D in the Messages manuals is
all about AIX stuff, and it doesn't help at all. I assume the above
doesn't work because TSM needs to first run an audit of the library and
see what all the tapes are in the library.

So then I tried an audit of the library:

- ANR2017I Administrator ****** issued command: AUDIT LIBRARY LB6.0.0.3
  CHECKLABEL=YES
- ANR0984I Process 6 for AUDIT LIBRARY started in the BACKGROUND at
  15:56:41.
- ANR8457I AUDIT LIBRARY: Operation for library LB6.0.0.3 started as
  process 6.
- ANR0609I AUDIT LIBRARY started as process 6.
- ANR8461I AUDIT LIBRARY process for library LB6.0.0.3 completed
  successfully.
- ANR0985I Process 6 for AUDIT LIBRARY running in the BACKGROUND completed
  with completion state SUCCESS at 15:56:41.

But this changes nothing. The audit takes less than a second, and the
library doesn't do anything during that time. I run the label and checking
commands again and the same problem exists: TSM can't label or check in
any tapes.

So how do I get TSM to see the tapes in the library? Any one have any
ideas what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu