ADSM-L

Poor Archive Performance

2003-06-26 13:53:04
Subject: Poor Archive Performance
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:52:10 -0500
Hi folks,

Recently I've done several upgrades, and today I'm getting terrible archive
performance, although I don't do a lot of archives. My environment is:

TSM server on AIX
TSM server 5.1.6.4 32-bit, with 64-bit device support
AIX 5.1 ML04 64-bit kernel

TSM client on AIX
TSM client 5.1.5.15
AIX 4.3.3 ML 9 and ML 11 (two different clients with same problem)

Communications over SP Switch.

Here is an example, I finally killed the archive:

Miles Purdy
System Manager
Information Systems Team (IST),
Farm Income Programs Directorate (FIPD),
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Winnipeg, MB, CA
Office contact:                                            Mobile contact:
 purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca                                      purdym AT
rogers.blackberry DOT net
 ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557        Cell: (204) 291-8758
"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>>>
 Process Interrupted!!  Severing connection. <<<<<<

Total number of objects inspected:  212 587
Total number of objects archived:   206 848
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:          0
Total number of objects expired:          0
Total number of objects failed:           0
Total number of bytes transferred: 5.72 GB
Data transfer time:                  103.71 sec
Network data transfer rate:        57 865.25 KB/sec
Aggregate data transfer rate:        103.23 KB/sec
Objects compressed by:                    0%
Elapsed processing time:           16:08:53

After 16 hours, barely anything had been done. I'm trying to archive /usr/ on
two aix servers (both 4.3.3).

I did some investigation, and I can't really see that anything is wrong. I did
notice that one CPU on my TSM server is pinned, which make me suspect that the
bottle neck is the TSM database.

I've looked through list, and have seen similar problems, but for a 4.1 and 4.2
server. Are they any problems with a 5.1 server?

Thanks Miles