ADSM-L

AW: what determines a file's eligibility for backup?

2003-06-25 12:01:16
Subject: AW: what determines a file's eligibility for backup?
From: "Thomas Rupp, Vorarlberger Illwerke AG" <Thomas.Rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:59:43 +0200
>From my notes:

new files (not contained in the TSM Db) or files whose contents changed since
the last backup.
This includes - for WINDOWS - any of the following:
- File size.
- Date or time of last modification.
- File attributes, except for the archive (A) attribute.
- NTFS file security descriptors. ( Owner Security Identifier (SID),
Group SID, Discretionary Access Control List (ACL), and System ACL.) (see TSM
5.1 - Windows - Backup-Archive Clients Installation and User's Guide - page 41)
OR for UNIX:
- File size
- Date or time of last modification
- Access Control List
If only the following items change, they are updated without causing the entire
file to be backed up:
- File owner
- File permissions
- Last access time
- Inode
- Group ID (see TSM 5.1 - UNIX - Backup-Archive Clients Installation and User's
Guide - page 58)