ADSM-L

Re: What sched mode to use in Novell?

2003-06-25 10:45:05
Subject: Re: What sched mode to use in Novell?
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:44:27 -0400
If DSMC sched works for you then use it.  Main thing on Novell is
that with large amount of files, we found that dsmc sched would
cause problems mainly because resources (memory) were not
freed up when backup finished.  Using DSMCAD solves this
problem as it unloads the scheduler after each backup completes.

A lot of general recommendations can always be subject
to YMMV!

David B. Longo
System Administrator
Health First, Inc.
3300 Fiske Blvd.
Rockledge, FL 32955-4305
PH      321.434.5536
Pager  321.634.8230
Fax:    321.434.5509
david.longo AT health-first DOT org

>>> flhou AT NETVAULTING DOT COM 06/25/03 03:27AM >>>
Hi all

I would like to hear your opinion on how to schedule your backupjobs in Novell
- as far as I see it, there are 2 ways to do it...:

  - 1: using the DSMCAD together with the MANAGEDSERVICES SCHEDULE WEBCLIENT in
the DSM.OPT... as far as I can tell the way Tivoli recommend... But I have had
some problems with it so?

  - 2: Using the DSMC SCHED, never had problems so far... but not the
recommended method!

So what to do? What is your experiences? And some good reasons for using DSMCAD?

Regards
Flemming

This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged
information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message
in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it
from your system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify
the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message
if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves
the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its
networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in this message
are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where
the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of
a particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by
the entity to give such views or opinions.