ADSM-L

micrsoft cluster and db2 backup problems

2003-06-25 06:20:50
Subject: micrsoft cluster and db2 backup problems
From: TSM <tsm AT PROFI-AG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:06:06 +0200
Hello,

our environment:
tsm server 5.1.1.6
tsm client 5.1.5.9
db2 version 7 , fixpack 8
api 5.1.5.9

we have some problems with implementing db2 on ms cluster in case of
failover.

First, we do not have only failover cluster, both cluster  nodes have
production db2 db's, some are cluster ressources, some not.

Because DB2 only recognize start parameters like DSMI_CONFIG, DSMI_DIR and
DSMI_LOG on start time, we could not implement
for example dsm.opt  on the shared cluster ressources, we had to implement
dsm.opt local on both cluster nodes. (only one node has control of a shared
cluster group  (disks) in ms cluster)

Normally on cluster ressources both dsm.opt files have to be equal, but
this means in our especially environment, that 2 physical different
nodes (ms cluster node 1 and 2) backup their db2 db's under one tsm node.

Now my question:  are there any restrictions to backup data (perhaps on the
same time (e.g. logfiles)  under one tsm node from 2 physical different
servers?

I think, that there could be a lot of confusion in tsm.

Please let me know, if you have experiences or recommendations for me.

Our workaround today is, to backup db2 data with two different tsm nodes
(dsm.opt different on both cluster nodes), but this is making problems in
case of failover.

Then you have backups with the wrong TSM Nodename and confusion will be
after switching to normal working mode, some logs and db backups under the
wrong nodename
makes restore and replication complicated.

with best regards

Stefan Savoric

s.savoric AT profi-ag DOT de