ADSM-L

Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom

2003-06-24 10:26:06
Subject: Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:25:30 -0500
Richard --

I seem to recall that one of the advantages of LTO was that the tapes
themselves were self-cleaning to an extent.

I have 4 cleaning tapes in the library; we've manually used one of them 11
times (more for checking out drive problems early on than for drive
cleaning). I've seen ONE tape in ONE drive throw a series of errors that
decoded as 'drive cleaning required'. By the time the tape dismounted, the
drive no longer needed cleaning. The same tape has worked fine in other
drives for the past three months and the drive hasn't thrown any errors
since.

I'm thinking that these drives work in a manner similar to the DLT drives I
used to have. If the signal strength from the heads degrades, the drive
needs cleaning -- but only if the signal is still low at label
check/dismount, because the normal tape movement may have cleaned things up.
And since the cleaning tapes are mildly abrasive, the idea is to not use
them if they aren't required.

I've decided to not worry about cleaning tape usage until I start seeing
tape I/O errors in my logs.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO< Inc.