ADSM-L

Server Down - Urgent Request

2003-06-23 17:14:54
Subject: Server Down - Urgent Request
From: Luke Dahl <ldahl AT JPL.NASA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 14:13:48 -0700
Hi All,
Server level:  5.1.5.1
Server OS: Solaris 2.8
Direct attached to a 3494 with SCSI attached 3590 Drives

Issue:  We unfortunately lost two disks on a RAID 5 array that contained
the database, recovery log, and primary diskpools.  Compounding the
problem the volhist.bak and devconfig.bak files were stored on the same
disk array (we had a nightly script in place to copy to an AFS location
but it had been disabled due to maintenance previously).  So, my
question is, how can I determine which tape volume my database backup
from yesterday is on?  Is there a way using the interface on the 3494?
Any other thoughts or suggestions?  I'm currently configuring the
storage array for use and will need to execute a restore db command
fairly soon.  Many thanks in advance - I never thought I could have two
simultaneous disk failures in a RAID 5 array as well as our DR script
disabled at the same time...

Luke Dahl
NASA-Jet Propulsion Laboratory
818-645-5684