ADSM-L

Re: PCT Logical = 100%

2003-06-23 00:04:45
Subject: Re: PCT Logical = 100%
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:02:08 -0500
For your diskpool don't worry about the "Pct Logical"
Pct Logical
     The logical occupancy of the storage pool as a percentage of the total
     occupancy. Logical occupancy is space occupied by client files that
may
     or may not be part of an aggregate. A Pct Logical value less than 100%
     indicates that there is vacant space within aggregates in the storage
     pool.

and your Util may be higher than your Migr at about any time because the %
Util is increased when client sessions preallocate storage area
the % Migr is updated when the client session closes the preallocated file
upon completion of the sending of the data to the server...

ALSO just because you turn cache off doesn't mean the cached files go
away... for them to go away you either have to issue "move data" against
the volumes to clear the cached files OR wait until enough routine backup
activity occurs to clear the cache pointers...

I'd look at other reasons for data to be going straight to tape, like DIRMC
stuff going to the longest retention management class which might be
straight to tape, etc...

Dwight

                      Bill Boyer
                      <bill.boyer@VERIZ        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ON.NET>                  cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  PCT Logical = 100%
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      06/22/2003 08:55
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

TSM Server 4.1.4.1 on AIX 4.3.3

My disk storage pool is stitting at 73% util and 49.8% Migrate'able.
CACHE=YES used to be turned on, but I switched it off. All my backup
sessions are being routed to the next storagepool. The Pct Logical is
100.0%. I don't understand when I just added a 62GB disk storage volume. Is
there some problem with this %Logical at this level? I went here so I could
run the CLEANUP BACKUPGROUPS before moving on to 5.1

tsm: TSM>q se

  Sess     Comm.      Sess         Wait       Bytes       Bytes     Sess
Platform     Client Name
Number     Method     State        Time        Sent       Recvd     Type
------     ------     ------     ------     -------     -------     -----
  --------     --------------------
 4,465     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      3.4 H          468         306     Node
WinNT        TDP_LDSKUL11
 4,467     Tcp/Ip     RecvW        0 S       17.6 K     102.0 G     Node
TDP Dom-     TDP_LDSKUL11

ino
 4,478     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      9.3 M        4.8 M       1,017     Node
WinNT        TNNWSLDS01
 4,480     Tcp/Ip     MediaW     9.3 M        2.1 K       2.7 G     Node
WinNT        TNNWSLDS01
 4,482     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      1.3 M        6.6 M     164.6 K     Node
WinNT        NWTSTOPTSRV1
 4,483     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S          879     148.5 M     Node
WinNT        NWTSTOPTSRV1
 4,485     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      9.5 M       17.4 M     653.1 K     Node
WinNT        NWMERSRV1
 4,486     Tcp/Ip     MediaW     9.5 M          638       5.1 M     Node
WinNT        NWMERSRV1
 4,488     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      32.1 M       4.5 M     103.1 K     Node
WinNT        NWDEVSRV1
 4,489     Tcp/Ip     Run          0 S          636       5.1 M     Node
WinNT        NWDEVSRV1
 4,491     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      30.8 M       6.2 M     131.0 K     Node
WinNT        NWTSTGEN1
 4,492     Tcp/Ip     MediaW     1.4 M          516       5.0 M     Node
WinNT        NWTSTGEN1
 4,493     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      24.5 M      16.1 M       1.1 K     Node
WinNT        SAS_SERVER
 4,494     Tcp/Ip     MediaW     25.0 M       1.0 K       2.3 M     Node
WinNT        SAS_SERVER
 4,496     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      13.7 M       2.9 M         905     Node
WinNT        LDSNOW51
 4,497     Tcp/Ip     MediaW     13.6 M         516      10.6 M     Node
WinNT        LDSNOW51
 4,498     Tcp/Ip     IdleW      11.6 M       6.9 M     120.2 K     Node
WinNT        NWOPTSRV2
 4,499     Tcp/Ip     MediaW     11.6 M         638       9.2 M     Node
WinNT        NWOPTSRV2

tsm: TSM>q stg

Storage         Device          Estimated       Pct       Pct     High
Low     Next Stora-
Pool Name       Class Name       Capacity      Util      Migr      Mig
Mig     ge Pool
                                     (MB)                          Pct
Pct
-----------     ----------     ----------     -----     -----     ----
-
--     -----------
BACKUPPOOL      DISK            345,410.0      73.5      49.8       85
60     3584POOL

tsm: TSM>q stg backuppool f=d

               Storage Pool Name: BACKUPPOOL
               Storage Pool Type: Primary