ADSM-L

Re: atape driver fails after enabling 64-bit kernel on AIX

2003-06-22 16:47:03
Subject: Re: atape driver fails after enabling 64-bit kernel on AIX
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:46:45 -0400
>I have successfully upgraded my TSM AIX server to 5.1 ML4. When I enabled
>the 64-bit kernel the rmt and smc devices come up as defined and not
>available. The TSM server will start. The problem, I think, is the atape
>driver, I have 8.2.1.0. I'm sure there is an easy fix, can someone help me?
>My temporary fix was to enable the 32-bit kernel.

Miles - Your posting doesn't say whether you tried 'mkdev -l' to see if
        that would boost the devices from Defined to Available.
Also check the various elements in the path to the device (lscfg) to
see if they are as they should be.
There is a later Atape on the FTP site, but it's not clear that you
actually need it, as all 8.x.x.x versions support AIX 5.1.

  Richard Sims, BU