ADSM-L

channel bonding

2003-06-19 14:58:30
Subject: channel bonding
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:58:07 -0500
We are installing a new TSM server. During setup, we recently determined
that with the hardware we have, we have to move our platform for TSM 5.1
from RedHat Linux 7.2 to Windows 2K Server. One of the downfalls I see in
that is that Linux supports channel bonding, but Windows doesn't.

Is this true? Has anyone got channel bonding to work in 2K server? I
assume most TSM'ers would want bonding, because it speeds up the transfer
of client data to your TSM spool disks, thus you can shorten the nightly
backup window.

I've looked at bit at groups google, and I see people who say it can't be
done, and others that say you need NIC's that have channel bonding support
built into it, but I can't find any NIC that seems to have that. I'm using
the Intel Pro/1000 MT Sever Adapter.

So I guess my questions is: does anyone here run TSM on 2K Server and get
channel bonding? Or are people having with a single NIC

Thanks!

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu