ADSM-L

restore question - NTFS time stamp?

2003-06-18 09:41:21
Subject: restore question - NTFS time stamp?
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:40:51 -0500
I've got a TSM related question, but the question is really about NTFS
time stamps (creation date) for folders. The reason I'm asking this
newsgroup is because the only product out there that has the capability
I'm looking for is TSM.

What I need to be able to do is move/copy files and folders in an NTFS
filesystem, and preserve the time stamp. I've tried many things: copy,
xcopy, cygwin, winzip, pkzip, they all suffer from the same problem,
namely, that FOLDERS that are copied/moved/unzipped with these tools do
NOT preserve the original time stamp. I've asked newsgroups and gotten no
answers. I've even tried contacting 3rd party software vendors to see if
their windows/unix tools can do it, but they all tell me that it CAN'T be
done.

But that is bull, because TSM does it!!! TSM will restore files and
folders, and all the time stamps (creation dates) on the folders and
files are the original ones.

How does TSM do that? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu