ADSM-L

Re: Missing something from 31 version profile

2003-06-17 15:18:29
Subject: Re: Missing something from 31 version profile
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:19:00 -0500
Duh!   Thanks much for the clarification regarding "correct TSM behavior".
Not only was it a great explaination but I even understood it!  It also
helped to explain it to the client in a way she understood.  This 'LIST' is
the best!  IBM should be paying the big bucks for the support TSM'ers get
from all of you!

Shannon Bach
e-mail sbach AT mge DOT com

                      Andrew Raibeck
                      <storman AT US DOT IBM.C        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      OM>                      cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Missing something
from 31 version profile
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      06/17/2003 11:30
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Just to clarify regarding "correct TSM behavior":

The RETEXTRA and VEREXISTS work together to define retention for the
backup versions in terms of time and number of versions. When *either*
criterion is exceeded for a given backup version, then that version is
expired. For example, you have RETEXTRA=31 and VEREXISTS=31. If you create
31 versions in the same day, and then (still on the same day) you create
version 32, version 1 will expire, regardless of RETEXTRA, because the
VEREXISTS criterion has been exceeded. Likewise, if you create version 1
today, then create version 2 a week later, then never create another
version after that, then version 1 will expire 31 days after the creation
of version 2, since the RETEXTRA criterion has been exceeded. In this
latter case, you still had 31 day recoverability since the file apparently
underwent very little change.

A true 31 day recoverability would have VEREXISTS=NOLIMIT and RETEXTRA=31,
so that the *only* criterion by which the files are expired is time. But
with that said, assuming the files are backed up once a day (at most),
your existing criteria seem just fine.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
06/17/2003 09:20

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

This is correct TSM behavior.

Based on your description, it sounds like you are attempting to provide
your customer with a service that will let them restore their database
files to anywhere in the past 31 days (as opposed to managing to a number
of versions). If a file hasn't changed, it isn't redundantly backed up.
Isn't that the point of what you are trying to accomplish by moving them
to incremental backups? Doesn't the oldest of the 23 versions go back 31
days? And if the file hasn't changed for the past 8 days, then wouldn't t
the backup taken 8 days ago reflect the most current version of the file
(minus any changes that might have occurred since last night's backup)?

If your goal is to keep 31 versions regardless of the number of days, then
set RETEXTRA to NOLIMIT. But that would appear to conflict with why you
are doing this to begin with.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
06/17/2003 09:00

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Missing something from 31 version profile

I currently have a client who has an Incremental Backup scheduled each
night of all files on their server except 4 very big database files.  Also
scheduled each night is an Archive, of the 4 database files excluded from
the incremental.   These archives are kept for 31 days so they may go back
to any version for the past month.  Besides these two schedules, they also
have weekly, monthly and yearly Archive scheduled of these same 4 database
files.  I have been trying to persuade them that a nightly incremental of
these files can do everything the nightly and weekly archives can, with a
lot less repetitive data being stored and a big saving of system
resources.
I have set up a special Management Class and Backup Copy Group and added
an
Include of the 4 DB files to this special Management Class in the Client
Options file.  I am running it with the Archives for 1 month, hoping to
convince them to totally give up their daily & weekly archive schedules.
Here lies my problem, for some reason I cannot get the incremental backup
to keep 31 versions of each file in the databases.  Instead it seems to be
keeping 31 days of each file, dropping off the rest.  So if a file did not
change 8 of the last 31 days, there are only 23 versions saved, the rest
drop off.   The following are the Management Class, Copy Group, etc that I
have set up.  I am missing a very important factor here but I can't seem
figure out what it is.  I could sure use some of the great expertise of
the
List to point out what I'm missing.

Optionset                   Description Last
Update by     Managing profile
(administrator)