ADSM-L

Re: Maximum number of DB volumes

2003-06-16 21:31:05
Subject: Re: Maximum number of DB volumes
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:30:39 -0500
From: Ford, Phillip [mailto:phillip.ford AT SPCORP DOT COM]
> We have TSM version 4.2.1.15 (moving soon to a 5... level)
> running on AIX
> 4.3.3.  Another TSM manager told me that there should be a
> maximum of 16 DB
> volumes.  They said that there could be more but that they
> had heard that
> there is system degradation if one was to use more that 16 DB
> volumes.  Has
> anyone else heard of this.  It was new to me and I was just
> wondering what the situation was.

This topic has been done to death in the last year. Go to
http://search.adsm.org and feast your eyes. This one's going in the FAQ,
folks.

The type and size of disk that db volumes can go on are so varied in
configuration and performance that there are no hard and fast rules,
other than the common-sense ones:

1) the more spindles, the better
2) the faster the disk rpm, the better
3) RAIDing the db vol disks is a wash, because (inevitably) every kind
of RAID has a performance penalty on either reads or writes

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks